Re: Recommend dba maintenance tasks on a regular bases - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Recommend dba maintenance tasks on a regular bases
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Fabricio <fabrixio1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a reindex of my databases periodically
>
> Sorry for the English translation of google
> I have PostgreSQL 8.1.x
> The databases that we have has many updates and were being slow, revising
> found that some index were bigger than it should be, did not agree to the
> size of the table. I made a reindex of  the table and consultation is his
> much faster and the index remained very small.
> We therefore began a scheduled task that  reidex my batadase periodically.

This is generally a sign you aren't vacuuming aggresively enough.
some usage patterns, however, lend themselves to off hours vacuuming
instead of during the day.  If your machine doesn't have enough
bandwidth to handle vacuuming during the day, then it's probably
better in the long run to look at faster I/O subsystems.