Re: more than 1000 connections - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: more than 1000 connections
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Jorge Medina <jorge@bsdchile.cl> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> affect directly the performance
>>
>> I'm trying to help you here, but that answer helps no one.
>>
> I know, sorry but the logs don't show anything when many people try
> login from the webmail begin to grow connections to postgresql and the
> all system turn too slow.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but there's a huge difference between
the system slowing down a bit, slowing down a lot, slowing down to a
crawl, and actually collapsing (failing to respond.)

Are you running out of available connections?  Do you have a lot that
are idle? Do you run the machine out of memory?  What are the symptoms
of your failure?