Re: Oddly slow queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Oddly slow queries
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Thomas Spreng <spreng@socket.ch> wrote:

>  I think I'll upgrade PostgreSQL to the latest 8.3 version in the next
>  few days anyway, along with a memory upgrade (from 1.5GB to 4GB) and a
>  new 2x RAID-1 (instead of RAID-5) disk configuration. I hope that this
>  has already a noticeable impact on the performance.

Note that if you have a good RAID controller with battery backed cache
and write back enabled, then you're probably better or / at least as
well off using four disks in a RAID-10 than two separate RAID-1 sets
(one for xlog and one for data).

Test to see.  I've had better performance in general with the RAID-10 setup.