Re: Help Postgresql to start on Suse 10.2 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Help Postgresql to start on Suse 10.2
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:18 AM, Monalee Bhandge <monalee_b@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear,
>  I am thinking to shift my software Axbo7.1 (see
>  http://axbo.co.in/ )
>  to postgresql from mysql.
>  I have Suse 10.2 operating system in my organization.I
>  install version 8.1.5-13 successfuly.
>  but when I start server as------------>
>  pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>  then error is----------------->
>  postmaster started.
>  Could not open directory "base" No such file or
>  directory.

It's been a few years since I've used SUSE, but I'm guessing that you
need to start it as a service from a file in the /etc/init.d
directory, or something like that.

Note that 8.1.5 is a bit out of date, but I don't know if SUSE
backports bug fixes to earlier versions or releases whole new
versions.  8.1.x is up to 8.1.11 now, so you should look at updating
to that version while you're doing all this.

If you must start it by hand, then use initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
first to initialize the db.