Re: 12 disks raid setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: 12 disks raid setup
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Franck Routier
<franck.routier@axege.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am in the process of setting up a postgresql server with 12 SAS disks.
>
>  I am considering two options:
>
>  1) set up a 12 disks raid 10 array to get maximum raw performance from
>  the system and put everything on it (it the whole pg cluster, including
>  WAL, and every tablespcace)
>
>  2) set up 3 raid 10 arrays of 4 disks, and dispatch my data on these
>  disks via tablespaces :

How you set it up depends on your RAID controller as much as anything.
 Good battery backed RAID controllers seem to work better with one big
RAID-10 array.  But as with anything, unless you benchmark it, you're
really just guessing which is best.