Re: Are indexes blown? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Are indexes blown?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:

>  No. They are the vmstat figures from when I was replying to your
>  email. What will vmstat tell me and how should I set it up to do
>  "vmstat 10 logging"?

Something like

vmstat 10 > vmstat.log

>  LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
>  LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>  LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
>  LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
>
>  Now I don't know what is wrong or even where I should look. Postgresql
>  is often taking quite a bit of memory and CPU resources.
>
>  I've reduced work_mem to 10MB and Max_connections to 100. (Anyway, the
>  old values were working just fine until recently!)
>
>  The biggest problem: when I su into postgres user and do a psql to get
>  into the PG console in my SSH, it takes a whole lot of time to come
>  up! It used to come up in a jiffy earlier!!! It now shows me this
>  error:

How many pgsql processes are there when this happens?  Try something like

ps axu|grep postgres

to see.  use

ps axu|grep postgres|wc -l

to get a rough count.  I'm guessing that your web service layer is
keeping old connections open.  could be something as ugly as php's
pg_pconnect or a buggy jdbc driver, etc...