Re: PostgreSQL on the internet - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on the internet
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 3, 2007 9:33 AM, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am kicking around the idea of using PostgreSQL as a web based service.
> Access to the site will be through a separate application/interface.
>
> The user's interface will install the database on entry to the website. When
> the user exits the site, the database will be dumped to the user's computer
> and eliminated from the website. It seems to me that it is possible to make
> this dump and restore invisible, or mostly invisible,  to the user.

You mean, I suppose, that you'll create a db on your server for the
user, and load schema / data into that?  Then dump it out to the user
when they're ready to go, and drop the db on your end?

Seems pretty easily doable to me.

> Can someone tell me what criteria I need to look at in order to determine
> how many clients can be using the website, each with their own database, at
> one time??

How much memory your db server has, how big the db will be, what kind
of load it will have, how the db is tuned, etc...  I'd try it out
after building a simple test case db and see how the system behaves
with say 1, 2, 4, 10, 20 etc users.  Get a feel for it.

I think a bit more information from you on exactly what you're
planning to do would help to determine an upper limit on how many
users you can handle.