Re: WAL segments size - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: WAL segments size
Date
List pgsql-general
On Nov 12, 2007 2:14 PM, Bruno Almeida do Lago <teolupus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of our PostgreSQL databases is generating archive logs too frequently,
> since the number of transactions/s (inserts & updates) is very high.
>
> I was looking for a parameter on postgresql.conf to increase the WAL
> segments size, but according to documentation this can only be changed while
> building PostgreSQL.

There's no great need to change the SIZE, just increase the number of
WAL segments.

More importantly, look into tuning your bgwriter so it keeps up with
the write load and you don't have a lot of checkpoints.  There was a
post here last week:

http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/chkp-bgw-83.htm

that had a very good tutorial on bgwriting and how to configure it.