Re: Inheritance foreign key unexpected behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Inheritance foreign key unexpected behaviour
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/20/07, M. van Egmond <mvanegmond@quetalzorg.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Im trying to use table inheritance in my database. I need it because i want
> to be able to link any object in the database to another. So i created a
> table my_object which has a serial, nothing more. All the other tables in
> the system are inherited from this my_object table. Im having difficulties
> adding foreign keys to the tables. This is my test setup:

From the inheritance docs at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/ddl-inherit.html

A serious limitation of the inheritance feature is that indexes
(including unique constraints) and foreign key constraints only apply
to single tables, not to their inheritance children. This is true on
both the referencing and referenced sides of a foreign key constraint.