Re: Autovacuum running out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Autovacuum running out of memory
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/16/07, Jason Lustig <lustig@brandeis.edu> wrote:

> Looking at my free memory (from TOP) I find
>
> Mem:   2062364k total,  1846696k used,   215668k free,   223324k buffers
> Swap:  2104496k total,      160k used,  2104336k free,   928216k cached
>
> So I don't think that I'm running out of memory total... it seems like it's
> continually trying to do it. Is there a reason why Postgres would be doing
> something without a username or database? Or is that just how autovacuum
> works?

You are NOT running out of memory.  Look at the size of your cache and
buffers, together they add up to over 1 Gig of memory.  You've got
plenty of free memory.

I'm betting you're running postgresql under an account with a ulimit
setting on your memory.