Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM
Date
Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM
Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM
Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM
Re: Performance on 8CPU's and 32GB of RAM
List pgsql-performance
On 9/5/07, Trevor Talbot <quension@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Do you mean that I will not see any big improvement if I upgrade the disk
> > > subsystem because the client is using NTFS (i.e. Windows)
> >
> > No, I think he's referring more to the lack of reliability of NTFS
> > compared to UFS / ZFS / JFS / XFS on unixen.
>
> Lack of reliability compared to _UFS_?  Can you elaborate on this?

Oh, the other issue that NTFS still seems to suffer from that most
unix file systems have overcome is fragmentation.  Since you can't
defrag a live system, you have to plan time to take down the db should
the NTFS partition for your db get overly fragmented.

And there's the issue that with windows / NTFS that when one process
opens a file for read, it locks it for all other users.  This means
that things like virus scanners can cause odd, unpredictable failures
of your database.