Re: PG Seg Faults Performing a Query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PG Seg Faults Performing a Query
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/21/07, Bill Thoen <bthoen@gisnet.com> wrote:
> How would you suggest I try to track down this problem?
> I run the following query:
>
> SELECT a.* FROM compliance_2006 a, ers_regions b
>   WHERE a.fips_st_cd=b.fips_st
>     AND a.fips_cnty_cd=b.fips_cou AND b.region =1
>     AND a.fips_st_cd='17' AND a.fips_cnty_cd='003';
>
> and it works. But when I try this:
>
> SELECT a.* FROM compliance_2006 a, ers_regions b
>   WHERE a.fips_st_cd=b.fips_st
>     AND a.fips_cnty_cd=b.fips_cou AND b.region =1
>     AND a.fips_st_cd='17' ;
>
> psql dies with the message:
> Segmentation Fault.

so the client psql is what's dieing right?  In that case you likely
are getting too big a result set for psql to handle at once.  Trying
declaring a cursor to hold your query and fetching 100 or 1000 or so
rows at a time.

Just guessing.  What's the exact text of the error message?