Re: POSTGRE CRASH AND CURRVAL PROBLEM HELP! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: POSTGRE CRASH AND CURRVAL PROBLEM HELP!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/19/07, David Azevedo <davixz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, i need help desperately.
>
> Im running postgresql 8.1.9 on windows 2003 server standard edition service
> pack 2. intel pentium 4 3.2 - 1 gb ram
> I have 5 databases in this server  and they all have action all day (
> inserts, selects etc )
>
> i have 2 problems.
>
> First, postgre crashes many times in the day and we have to restart the
> service to keep working. i created a log using the database conection class
> with php. when a query makes an error it logs in a txt file. i will show
> here the errors that im getting and i dont know what they mean.

On stable hardware with a stable OS, postgresql crashing once a year
is too often.

> 2007-08-16
> 13:49:43||/labrsangioro/forms/recepcao_temp.php||ERROR:
> could not open relation 1663/1491040/1555634: Invalid argument
> ||update tb_atendimento set total_faturamento='33.6', tipo_desconto='%',
> total_desconto='30' where cod_atendimento=2683
> 2007-08-16

This type of error is indicative of two possibilities.  Either the
hardware has issues, or the OS is doing something funny.

On a unix machine I would generally suspect the hardware, but on
Windows I tend to suspect some kind of anti-virus software holding a
lock on your files when the database goes to access them.

Turn off / remove / uninstall all anti-virus / firewall / email filter
software on the box.

However, it is quite likely that by now you have a corrupted data
store and will need to restore from a backup for reliability.

Oh, and buy more RAM for that box.  1 gig is REALLY small for a db server. :)