Re: Mass updates on a large table - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Mass updates on a large table
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 8/10/07, Mark Steben <msteben@autorevenue.com> wrote:

> Hi Scott, thanks for the response.

> 4.        The business reason for the update: we are replacing within a
> query a
> COALESCE function that gave us the most recent date between 3 dates. We
> Are instead doing the COALESCE as part of a new update trigger, populating
> the  New date fields with the most recent dates and referencing the new dates

So this is a one time data migration.  OK, then I'm no as worried
about the business case being a bit crazy.

> 5.        We are planning an upgrade to 8.2.4 in the near future – hopefully
> in a couple months.

Cool.  Start testing now.  You'd be surprised how many test cases
you'll find where your laptop running 8.2 will outrun your server
running 7.x...

Nothing too out of the ordinary in your schema, but those
multi-dimensional arrays might be a bit expensive, especially for
updates.