Re: Database Select Slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Database Select Slow
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/10/07, carter ck <carterck32@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am facing a performance issue here. Whenever I do a count(*) on a table
> that contains about 300K records, it takes few minutes to complete. Whereas
> my other application which is counting > 500K records just take less than 10
> seconds to complete.
>
> I have indexed all the essential columns and still it does not improve the
> speed.

As previously mentioned, indexes won't help with a count(*) with no
where clause.

They might help with a where clause, if it's quite selective, but if
you're grabbing a noticeable percentage of a table, pgsql will rightly
switch to a seq scan.

Here's some examples from my goodly sized stats db here at work:

\timing
explain select * from businessrequestsummary;
                                     QUERY PLAN
 Seq Scan on businessrequestsummary  (cost=0.00..3280188.63
rows=67165363 width=262)
Time: 0.441 ms

gives me an approximate value of 67,165,363 rows.

explain select * from businessrequestsummary where lastflushtime >
now() - interval '1 day';
                                                         QUERY PLAN

 Index Scan using businessrequestsummary_lastflushtime_dx on
businessrequestsummary  (cost=0.00..466.65 rows=6661 width=262)
   Index Cond: (lastflushtime > (now() - '1 day'::interval))
says 6661 rows. and takes 0.9 ms and would use the index.

To run the real queries I get much slower times. :)

Now, to run the real count(*) queries:

 select count(*) from businessrequestsummary where lastflushtime >
now() - interval '1 day';
 count
--------
 274192
(1 row)

Time: 546.528 ms

(data in the buffers makes it fast)

select count(*) from businessrequestsummary where lastflushtime >
now() - interval '1 week';
  count
---------
 1700050
(1 row)

Time: 26291.155 ms

second run (data now in buffer)

select count(*) from businessrequestsummary where lastflushtime >
now() - interval '1 week';
  count
---------
 1699689
(1 row)

Time: 2592.573 ms

Note the number changed, because this db is constantly being updated
in real time with production statistics.

I'm not going to run a select count(*) on that db, because it would
take about 30 minutes to run.  It's got about 67million rows in it.