Re: Authentification failed - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Authentification failed
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 8/1/07, Judith <jaltamirano@correolux.com.mx> wrote:
> Hello everybody!!
>
>  I'm trying in SUSE to connect to a postgres db and this is the error:
>
>      Ident Authentification failed for user <<root>>
>
> I'm already created the user with createuser root, but the error
> persist, I would aprecciate some help, thanks in advanced

you need to change auth methods in your pg_hba.conf file:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

basically identd means that you are who you are on the unix box.  no
-U flag, you can't log in as someone else.

note that a "root" user is a bit of a mysqlism.  The postgres user is
the equivalent in postgresql.  might you sudo su - postgres and try to
connect?