Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_sequence system catalog - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add pg_sequence system catalog
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On 12/20/16 8:42 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Add pg_sequence system catalog
>
> Looking into buildfarm failures on AIX from this.

Puzzling.

The error is

create table test1 (id serial, t text);
ERROR:  MINVALUE (4294967296) must be less than MAXVALUE (-4294967296)

Normal sequence creation works.

I think this error comes from the ALTER SEQUENCE OWNED BY call that the
serial column creation synthesizes.  This would read the existing
sequence parameters from the catalog (AlterSequence()), then parse the
parameters (init_params()), where nothing changes except the owner.  It
still runs the crosscheck min/max, which produces the error message.
The values complained about are 0x100000000 and 0xFFFFFFFF00000000, so
it's possible that it's reading the catalog off by 4 bytes or some bytes
are flipped somewhere else.