Re: Proposal: Document ABI Compatibility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Subject Re: Proposal: Document ABI Compatibility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/06/2024 21:21, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2024, at 14:58, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
> Hello Andres.
>
>> Are there notes for the session?
> Yes, but not posted yet. Here’s what Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum sent me for that bit of the conversation:
>
> *   Core is focused on core ABI stability
> *   David: No "statement of stability" in Core
>      *   David/Jeremy/Tom: coding guidelines, style guidelines
>      *    useful to have docs in core about what's stable and what's not, what you should compile against or not, and
ABIguarantees

> *   Abigale: there are hooks, but no overall concept for extensions
> *   Tom: Peter Eisentraut is working on tests for extensions stability
> *   Jeremy: nothing is preventing people from installing incompatible versions

The full "discussion" is here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGConf.dev_2024_Developer_Unconference#Improving_extensions_in_core

And the ABI discussion here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGConf.dev_2024_Extension_Summit#ABI.2FAPI_discussion