postgres user can connect but no one else - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From A B
Subject postgres user can connect but no one else
Date
Re: postgres user can connect but no one else  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
I can do

# su - postgres
$ psql

and run sql commands, but  running
 psql
as the user I just created with the command

createuser -s -d -E -P -e myself

fails with
psql: could not connect to server: Permission denied
        connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

I run psql as the "myself" user. and even psql -U myself template1
fails.  (template1 was the database that always is there, right?)

pg_hba.conf says

local   all         all                              trust
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          password
host    all         all         ::1/128               password

I'm not sure why I cant connect.