Suggested way of associating PG user metadata with record - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Suggested way of associating PG user metadata with record
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'd like to associate the PG user who created certain sorts of records
with that record in my application. The obvious way to do this is by
creating a text column with a default value of current_user in the
record's table, or perhaps something similar with a trigger. However,
because what I've described strikes me as a fairly common requirement,
I suspect there may be a purpose-built, more direct and efficient
feature I could use, such as a referential user datatype or something
like that.

Is there? If not, does the obvious approach seem reasonable?

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan