local disk access for a remote psql connection - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From P Kapat
Subject local disk access for a remote psql connection
Date
List pgsql-novice
I am connecting to a remote machine using (both local client and
remote server are RedHat EL 5.3):

psql -d mydb -h remote.machine.example.com -U myuser -W

After giving the password, the connection is made and I can
list/create tables etc. Now I want to copy a csv file, which is on the
local client machine, into a table on the remote server machine. I try
to do so via:

COPY  myschm.mytb  FROM  '/home/myuser/myfile.csv'  WITH CSV header
QUOTE AS '\"';

which clearly doesn't work, giving: ERROR:  could not open file ......
No such file or directory

I could transfer the file from my local client to the remote host, but
I would prefer not to. This creates a syncing headache between the
local and remote machines. Similarly when copying an existing table to
disk, I would prefer it to write to the local client's disk rather
than to the remote server's disk.

Is any/both of these possible?

--
Regards