Re: ssl tunneling in postgres 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From P Kapat
Subject Re: ssl tunneling in postgres 8.1
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM, A. Kretschmer
<andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> am  Tue, dem 18.11.2008, um  3:46:34 -0500 mailte P Kapat folgendes:
>> bar$ psql -h localhost -p 3333 joe -U joe -W
>> Password for user joe: joepass
>> psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>         before or while processing the request.
>>
>> And on the remote ssh terminal I get the following error:
>>
>> foo$ channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? I don't know if this matters: foo.com (remote)
>> runs the 8.1 server and bar.com (my client machine/localhost) runs
>> 8.3. What server parameter needs to be tweaked?
>
> I can reproduce it with an 8.3 Server and a 8.1 psql-client. If i try it
> in the other direction, i got this:
>
> WARNING:  You are connected to a server with major version 8.1,
> but your psql client is major version 8.3.  Some backslash commands,
> such as \d, might not work properly.

On the contrary, in the reverse direction (8.1 client to 8.3 server ie
bar to foo), I get the exact same error as for the connection from 8.3
to 8.1!! Not the WARNING! I should also mention that the local machine
(bar.com) is behind a NAT a router, so for the reverse direction to
even give error, I had to forward the 5432 port form the router to the
intended machine.

> I would simply use ssh to login into the remote server and use the local
> psql. Is this possible for you? Or install the propper psql-client.

Well, I am of the opinion that the different versions is not the
curlprit here. In other words, even if I use the 8.1 psql-client, I am
sure I'll get this error. There is some configuration/misconfiguration
on the server's end that is blocking the connection.

I certainly appreciate any help in getting this to work. My main goal
is to use pgadminIII later. But first I want to make sure that this
step works.

--
Regards
PK