Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-01-28 16:47, Juan José Santamaría Flecha wrote:
> This patch targets to do something symmetrical to to_char(), which will
> just return a single value.

I didn't fully realize while reading this thread that to_char() already
supports localized output and this patch indeed just wants to do the
opposite.

So I'm withdrawing my concerns with respect to this patch.  As long as
it can do a roundtrip conversion with to_char(), it's fine.

It's pretty clear that this interface cannot be useful for producing or
parsing fully general localized dates.  But since it exists now (and
it's quasi SQL standard now), we might as well fill in this gap.