Re: copy file from a client app to remote postgres isntance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: copy file from a client app to remote postgres isntance
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/7/22 8:57 AM, Вадим Самохин wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have an application that must copy a local file in csv format to a
> postgres table on a remote host. The closest solution is this one
> (https://stackoverflow.com/a/9327519/618020
> <http://stackoverflow.com/a/9327519/618020>). It boils down to
> specifying a \copy meta-command in a psql command:
>
> |psql -U %s -p %s -d %s -f - <<EOT\n here hoes a \copy meta-command \nEOT\n
> and executing it. B|ut it's quite an unnatural way to write database
> code. Has anything changed in the last ten years? Or, is there a better
> wayto copy file contents in a remote database?

1) Set up postgres_fdw:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/postgres-fdw.html

on local machine to point at table on remote machine and then \copy or
COPY to local machine.

2) Copy the CSV file to remote machine and then do \copy or COPY there.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com