Re: PATCH: Add hooks for pg_total_relation_size and pg_indexes_size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Karlsson
Subject Re: PATCH: Add hooks for pg_total_relation_size and pg_indexes_size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/9/24 6:59 PM, Abdoulaye Ba wrote:>     The primary use case for
this hook is to allow extensions to account
>     for additional storage mechanisms that are not covered by the
>     default PostgreSQL relation size calculations. For instance, in our
>     project, we are working with an external indexing system (Tantivy)
>     that maintains additional data structures outside the standard
>     PostgreSQL storage. This hook allows us to include the size of these
>     additional structures in the total relation size calculations.
>
>     While I understand your suggestion about custom index AMs, the
>     intent behind this hook is broader. It is not limited to custom
>     index types but can also be used for other forms of external storage
>     that need to be accounted for in relation size calculations. This is
>     why a generic callback hook was chosen over extending the index AM
>     interface.
>
>     However, if there is a consensus that such a hook would be better
>     suited within the index AM interface for cases involving custom
>     index storage, I'm open to discussing this further and exploring how
>     it could be integrated more tightly with the existing PostgreSQL AM
>     framework.

Yeah, I strongly suspected it was ParadeDB. :)

I am only one developer but I really do not like solving this with a
hook, instead I think the proper solution is to integrate this properly
with custom AMs and storage managers. I think we should do it properly
or not at all.

Andreas