Re: Missing pg_control crashes postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject Re: Missing pg_control crashes postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/25/18 11:26 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-07-25 11:19:49 -0400, David Steele wrote:
>
> If one wanted to improve recoverability in scenarios like this, there'd
> be actually useful things like adding the option to extract control
> files, FPIs, clog contents from the WAL with pg_waldump.

I think you'd need to be a bit careful about what to trust in the WAL
but presumably the last checkpoint LSN would be safe enough.

At the end of the day good backups are the best protection against an
issue like this.

Regards,
--
-David