Re: Missing pg_control crashes postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Missing pg_control crashes postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
> On 7/25/18 11:09 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> The problem is that that'll just hide the issue for a bit longer, while
>> continuing (due to the O_CREAT we'll not PANIC anymore).  Which can lead
>> to a lot of followup issues, like checkpoints removing old WAL that'd
>> have been useful for data recovery.

> So if a panic is the best thing to do, it might still be good to write
> out a copy of pg_control to another file and let the user know that it's
> there.  More information seems better than less to me.

I'm still dubious that this is fixing any real-world problem that is
more pressing than the problems it would create.  If you're asked to
resuscitate a dead cluster, do you trust pg_control.bak if you find
it?  Maybe it's horribly out of date (consider likelihood that someone
removed pg_control more than once, having got away with that the first
time).  If there's both that and pg_control, which do you trust?