Re: tests and meson - test names and file locations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: tests and meson - test names and file locations
Date
Re: tests and meson - test names and file locations
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-08-11 Th 00:04, Andres Freund wrote:

> The runner now creates a test.start at the start of a test and either
> test.success or test.failure at the end. That should make it pretty easy for
> e.g. the buildfarm and CI to make the logs for a failed test easily
> accessible. I've spent far too much time going through the ~hundred logs in
> src/test/recovery/ that the buildfarm displays as one thing.

I do have work in hand to improve that markedly, just need a little time
to finish it.

> I really like having all the test data separately from the sources, but I get
> that that's not what we've done so far. It's doable to just mirror the current
> choice, but I don't think we should. But I won't push too hard against keeping
> things the same.

I also like that. I think we should take this opportunity for some
serious rationalization of this. Tests and associated data have grown
rather like Topsy, and we should fix that. So please don't feel too
constrained by current practice.

> I do wonder if we should put test data and log files in a separate directory
> tree, but that'd be a bit more work probably.
>

> Any comments on the above?
>

> = Example outputs =

[...]

> Full log written to /tmp/meson/meson-logs/testlog.txt

/tmp ?

cheers

andrew

--