Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/9/19 4:23 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 06:24:40PM -0400, Joe Conway wrote:
>>>
>>> No, this also meant that, as an attacker, I *knew* the salt ahead of
>>> time and therefore could build rainbow tables specifically for that
>>> salt.  I could also use those *same* tables for any system where that
>>> user had an account, even if they used different passwords on different
>>> systems...
>>>
>>> I appreciate that *some* of this might not be completely relevant for
>>> the way a nonce is used in cryptography, but I'd be very surprised to
>>> have a cryptographer tell me that a deterministic nonce didn't have
>>> similar issues or didn't reduce the value of the nonce significantly.
>>
>>I have worked side by side on projects with bona fide cryptographers and
>>I can assure you that they recommended random nonces. Granted, that was
>>in the early 2000s, but I don't think "modern cryptography" has changed
>>that any more than "web scale" has made Postgres irrelevant in the
>>intervening years.
>>
>>Related links:
>>
>>https://defuse.ca/cbcmodeiv.htm
>>https://www.cryptofails.com/post/70059609995/crypto-noobs-1-initialization-vectors
>>

> AFAIK it very much depends on the encryption mode. CBC mode does require
> random nonces, other modes may be fine with even sequences as long as
> the values are not reused. In which case we might even use the LSN, for
> example. And I wonder if sha2(LSN) could be considered "random", but
> maybe that's entirely silly idea ...

Yeah, we worked mostly with CBC so that could be the case in terms of
what is required. But I don't think it is ever a bad idea.

But as Stephen pointed out elsewhere on this thread, I think we should
be getting our guidance from places like NIST, which has actual experts
in this stuff.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com