Re: Invisible PROMPT2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Subject Re: Invisible PROMPT2
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Hello hackers,
>
> From the advanced bikeshedding department: I'd like my psql
> transcripts to have the usual alignment, but be easier to copy and
> paste later without having weird prompt stuff in the middle.  How
> about a prompt format directive %w that means "whitespace of the same
> width as %/"?  Then you can make set your PROMPT2 to '%w   ' and it
> becomes invisible:

That only lines up nicely if %/ is the only variable-width directive in
PROMPT1.  How about a circumfix directive (like the existing %[ ... %])
that replaces everything inside with whitespace, but keeps the width?

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with