Re: [HACKERS] make check-world output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] make check-world output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> For the basic build process, we've largely solved that through the
> use of "make -s".  But we don't really have a comparable "be quiet"
> option for test runs, especially not the TAP tests.  Maybe we need
> to think a bit more globally about what it is we're trying ton
> accomplish.

Removing --verbose from PROVE_FLAGS cuts the check-world output from
about 9.4k lines to 3.8k, i.e. ~60%.  Doing 'make -s' cuts it by another
1.3k lines.

Another thing I noticed is that there's a bunch of 'diag' calls in the
tests scripts (particularly ssl/t/001_ssltests.pl and
recovery/t/001_stream_rep.pl) that should probably be 'note's instead,
so they don't pollute STDERR in non-verbose mode.  'diag' should only be
used to output extra diagnostics in the case of test failures, 'note' is
for test progress/status updates.

- ilmari

--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in the mainstream press' sense at least.
  - Matt McLeod

- That'd be because the content of a tweet is easier to condense down to a mainstream media article.
 - Calle Dybedahl