Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Subject Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient
Date
Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari =?utf-8?Q?Manns=C3=A5ker?=) writes:
>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
>>> And you propose to test for that in configure how?
>
>> Good point, I'd overlooked that aspect.  In that case we can't rely on
>> what Debian or others happen to include in their minimal packages, we
>> have to explicitly check for _every_ module we use anywhere in the test
>> suite, core or not (except perhaps pragmas like 'strict' and 'warnings').
>
> That seems like expensive overkill to me, especially since it seems
> unlikely that we'd keep the list up-to-date over time.

The patches uptread add about 0.2s to a 6.9s configure run here, I don't
consider that very expensive.  We don't add new modules very often, so I
don't think it's much of a maintenance overhead either.

> I just want to test for modules that we know are likely to be omitted
> on popular platforms.  I've proposed testing two that would improve
> the user experience on Red Hat; what's the equivalent minimum set for
> Debian?

On Debian (I've checked the previous and current stable releases, as
well as unstable) the only package required by the TAP tests not in
perl-base is Time::HiRes.  Of the modules required by PL/Perl, Opcode is
not in perl-base either.

BTW, should include the version in the Test::More check, since we only
requie Perl 5.8, but that only shipped Test::More 0.47, while we require
0.97.

- ilmari
--
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
 at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen