Re: BUG #15589: Due to missing wal, restore ends prematurely andopens database for read/write - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From leif@lako.no
Subject Re: BUG #15589: Due to missing wal, restore ends prematurely andopens database for read/write
Date
List pgsql-bugs

"Jeff Janes" <jeff.janes@gmail.com> skrev 11. januar 2019 kl. 15:03:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:08 AM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

PostgreSQL should have paused recovery also on the first scenario. Then I
could have added missing wal and continued with restore.
At the least, I think we should log an explicit WARNING if the WAL stream ends before the specified PIT is reached.
The documentation for recovery.conf states that with recovery_target_time set recovery_target_action defaults to pause.
Even if stop point is not reached, pause should be activated.
fter checking the source this might be solved with a small addition in StartupXLOG.c
Someone with more experience with the source code should check this out.
if (reachedStopPoint)
{
if (!reachedConsistency)
ereport(FATAL,
(errmsg("requested recovery stop point is before consistent recovery point")));
/*
* This is the last point where we can restart recovery with a
* new recovery target, if we shutdown and begin again. After
* this, Resource Managers may choose to do permanent
* corrective actions at end of recovery.
*/
switch (recoveryTargetAction)
{
case RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_SHUTDOWN:
/*
* exit with special return code to request shutdown
* of postmaster. Log messages issued from
* postmaster.
*/
proc_exit(3);
case RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_PAUSE:
SetRecoveryPause(true);
recoveryPausesHere();
/* drop into promote */
case RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_PROMOTE:
break;
}
/* Add these lines .... */
} else if (recoveryTarget == RECOVERY_TARGET_TIME)
{
/*
* Stop point not reached but next WAL could not be read
* Some explanation and warning should be logged
*/
switch (recoveryTargetAction)
{
case RECOVERY_TARGET_ACTION_PAUSE: