Re: Recreating functions after starting the database server. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Recreating functions after starting the database server.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 31/01/2018 14:45, Konrad Witaszczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering changing my database schema upgrade routines to recreate
> functions and all objects depending on them (e.g. triggers, views) just after
> the database server is started. It would make the routines much simpler since
> they wouldn't have to depend on the history of the schema.
>
> Does anyone has any experience with recreating all functions and triggers to
> upgrade a database schema assuming that during the upgrade there are no client
> connections to the database?
>
> Does anyone see any problems with such approach in terms of consistency and
> performance? I'm not familiar with PostgreSQL internals and I'm not sure how it
> would affect the planner when using various function volatile categories.
Do you have indexes that use those functions?
It would help to just give an example of your situation and what you are trying to solve.
Why recreate triggers, indexes and functions after server startup instead of leaving them?
Why create needless traffic?

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead