Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3/23/21 7:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2021-Mar-23, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
>> FWIW there's yet another difference between the current BRIN opclass
>> definition, compared to what CREATE OPERATOR CLASS would do. Or more
>> precisely, how we'd define opfamily for the cross-type cases (integer,
>> float and timestamp cases).
>>
>> AFAICS we don't really need pg_amproc entries for the cross-type cases,
>> we just need the operators, so pg_amproc entries like
>>
>> { amprocfamily => 'brin/datetime_minmax_ops', amproclefttype =>
>> 'timestamptz',
>>   amprocrighttype => 'timestamp', amprocnum => '1',
>>   amproc => 'brin_minmax_opcinfo' },
>>
>> are unnecessary. The attached patch cleans that up, without breaking any
>> regression tests. Or is there a reason why we need those?
>
> ... ooh ...
>
> When you say "just the operators" you mean the pg_amop entries, right?
>
> I think I agree -- cross-type amproc entries are unlikely to have any
> use.

I've pushed a cleanup of the unnecessary pg_amproc entries for the
built-in opclasses, and I have omitted them from the definition of the
new opclasses. Buildfarm seems happy, so far.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company