Re: Importing tab delimited text file using phpPgAdmin 5.1 GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Importing tab delimited text file using phpPgAdmin 5.1 GUI
Date
Re: Importing tab delimited text file using phpPgAdmin 5.1 GUI  (<s400t@yahoo.co.jp>)
List pgsql-general
On 12/7/18 9:04 AM, s400t@yahoo.co.jp wrote:
> I didn't specify any schema, so it was created in public schema.
> The error message also says "public"...
> //------------------------------------------------------------------
> ERROR: column "rec_id" of relation "spec" does not exist
> LINE 1: INSERT INTO "public"."spec" ("rec_id","title_c...
> //------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Output of the \d spec:
>

>                   Table "public.spec"
>             Column           |          Type           | Modifiers
> ----------------------------+-------------------------+-----------
>   rec_id                     | character varying(32)   | not null
>   title_category             | character varying(255)  |
>   doctype                    | character varying(255)  |
>   ... goes on like this for other columns.
>
> What are you trying to see in the output of \d spec?

My basic procedure in troubleshooting is starting from the known and
working out to the unknown. So my questions about the schema(s) and the
table definition where to establish a know starting point. Also a common
issue that hit this list are multiple versions(across schemas) of an
object in a database and code hitting the wrong version. One of the
signs of that being error messages of the form you got.

> I don't understand what you mean by the import code is trying to insert
> in to wrong version of the table.
> I visually checked the left side "menu like" structure of the
> phpPgAdmin- there is no other table of that name.

See above.

> You mentioned that quoted identifiers are not the issue.
> This prompted me to test the process in a table with a few columns and
> ascii characters.
> Immediately it was clear that quoted identifiers were not to blame.
>
> I found that I got that error when I change encoding of the tab
> delimited file to UTF-8.
> Because my data contains non-ascii characters, if I don't use UTF-8, I
> get this error.
>
> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x82
>

> ... and I read somewhere that if I open the text file in notpad and save
> it with UTF-8 encoding, I can get rid of the error. (When inserting
> using pyDev (psycopg2)/Eclipse, that does get rid of the error...

Notepad is not a text editor to use in general and in particular for
data transformation work. It has limited knowledge of the text format.
If you need to do that on Windows use Wordpad or better yet Notepad++:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

> That's why I changed encoding.
>
> And now I am stuck with this error.
>
> But at least, now I am not blaming phpPgAdmin :)
> Thanks for the lead.
>
> BTW, both server and client encoding of my pg db are UTF8.

The original encoding was Win-10 (Japanese) correct?

> testdb=# SHOW SERVER_ENCODING;
>   server_encoding
> -----------------
>   UTF8