Re: Database issues when adding GUI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Database issues when adding GUI
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/7/21 8:32 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
>
>> I agree with Rich. Permissions, or you’re connecting as the wrong user.
>> You might find it helpful to simplify and not use a GUI application until
>> you get your connection issues sorted out. A simple command line Python
>> app that connects to the database and prints the result of “select * from
>> activitytypes limit 1” will enable quick(er) debugging of your connection
>> issues.
>
> Philip,
>
> I've used the psql shell for years. That's not a GUI.

What Philip is suggesting is to use Python only simple script to connect
to database and retrieve from table. Something like:

import psycopg2

con = psycopg2.connect(<connection_str>)
cur = con.cursor()
cur.execute('select * from activitytypes')
rs = cur.fetchall()
print(rs)

--
Adrian Klaver