Re: time value '24:00:00' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: time value '24:00:00'
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/1/06, Uwe C. Schroeder <uwe@oss4u.com> wrote:

> why don't you just use < '00:00:00'::time
> and avoid the issue?
>
> IMHO there shouldn't even be a 24:00:00, because that would imply that there
> is a 24:00:01 - which there is not.
> It should go from 23:59 to 00:00
> But then, I didn't write the spec for time in general, so maybe there is a
> 24:00 which is identical to 00:0

Keep in mind the times when there is an extra leap second added in.  I
suspect that in those cases, we get "23:60"; that seems actually a
little bit stranger than 24:00...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.