Re: Error on failed COMMIT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vik Fearing
Subject Re: Error on failed COMMIT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/21 6:20 PM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> After thinking some more about it, I think that COMMIT AND CHAIN would have
> to change behavior: if COMMIT throws an error (because the transaction was
> aborted), no new transaction should be started.  Everything else seems fishy:
> the statement fails, but still starts a new transaction?

The standard is not clear (to me) on what exactly should happen here.
It says that if a <commit statement> is not successful then a <rollback
statement> is implied, but I don't see it say anything about whether the
AND CHAIN should be propagated too.

My vote is that COMMIT AND CHAIN should become ROLLBACK AND NO CHAIN.
--
Vik Fearing