Re: connecting to linux server from windows xp - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sebastian Scarano
Subject Re: connecting to linux server from windows xp
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi

I think that the browser is adding some http:// stuff in front of my
ip addresses config.

I'll replace the dots "." with hypens "-". You'll see there's no
"http://" anywhere to be found...

---

tux data # cat pg_hba.conf | tail -n 9
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127-0-0-1/32          trust
host    all         all         192-168-0-0/16        password
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               trus
---

From the windows xp guest I opend a shell and tried with

telnet tux 5432 but it couldn't connect

So I tried with telnet 192.168.103.1 5432 and it did connected for a
few seconds.

And the, back to pgadminIII, i replaced tux with the ip address and I
could connect!!!!

Anyway, I'd like to know why I can connect from a windowx xp client to
a postgresql server running con a windows xp with the server name, but
with a server running in linux I have to use the ip address

Saludos and thanks

Sas