Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nikolas Everett
Subject Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb
Date
Re: 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Turning fsync off on a dev database is a bad idea?  Sure you might kill it and have to start over, but thats kind of the point in a dev database.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 20:38 -0500, Nikolas Everett wrote:
> In my limited experience ext4 as presented by Karmic is not db
> friendly.  I had to carve my swap partition into a swap partition and
> an xfs partition to get better db performance.  Try fsync=off first,
> but if that doesn't work then try a mini xfs.

Do not turn fsync off. That is bad advice. I would not suggest ext4 at
this point for database operations. Use ext3. It is backward compatible.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander