Re: database backup trouble - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi N/A
Subject Re: database backup trouble
Date
List pgsql-general
2007/2/3, George Weaver <gweaver@shaw.ca>:

> >it's a windows-related problem
>
> Is the Task Scheduler service running? (Start > Settings >  Control Panel >
> Administrative Tools > Services - Task Scheduler?).
>
> If the Task Scheduler service is running , what does the Task Scheduler log
> indicate about the tasks you tried to run (menu item: Advanced > View Log)?

Thanks for the tip: I'll check the log.
I just did a test on the office W2k3 server and the test was
successful in that the task ran. This leads me to believe it's a
matter of priviledges: our client has much stricter user rights
policies than we do at the office. :)

> Did any of your test .bat files contain a PAUSE command to keep the console
> window open in case the bat file did run as scheduled?

As I said, it doesn't seem to be related to the script contents (see
above) and I'm kind of surprised all the reactions on the mailing list
seem to be of the windows-scheduled-tasks-don't-work?-really?-type
instead of the pgagent-works-like-a-clock-you-just-have-to-wind-it-up
type of anwer, as I had hoped and expected.

> >this is the beanshell script:
>
> Unfortunately I am not familar with beanshell and cannot offer assistance
> here.

These are just my very mediocre attempts to get around the fact that I
can't get around pg_dump, i.e. there seems to be no way to issue a
request from a client on the network and get the database dump from
the server: I listed the beanshell approach to a platform independent
backup solution only for completeness sake.

Thanks,
t.n.a.