Re: Index bloat of 4x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Index bloat of 4x
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim Nasby wrote:
> Is there no way to change the index code to allow for moving index
> tuples from one page to another? If we could do that then presumably
> we could free up substantially more pages.

This paper

@inproceedings{DBLP:conf/sigmod/ZouS96,
    author    = {C. Zou and B. Salzberg},
    editor    = {H. V. Jagadish and Inderpal Singh Mumick},
    title     = {On-line Reorganization of Sparsely-populated B+trees},
    booktitle = {Proceedings of the 1996 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on
        Management of Data, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, June 4-6, 1996},
    publisher = {ACM Press},
    year      = {1996},
    pages     = {115-124},
    bibsource = {DBLP, \url{http://dblp.uni-trier.de}}