Re: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From William Yu
Subject Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Oooops, I revived the never-ending $7K thread. :)

Well part of my message is to first relook at the idea that SATA is
cheap but slow. Most people look at SATA from the view of consumer-level
drives, no NCQ/TCQ -- basically these drives are IDEs that can connect
to SATA cables. But if you then look at the server-level SATAs from WD,
you see performance close to server-level 10K SCSIs and pricing also close.

Starting with the idea of using 20 consumer-level SATA drives versus 4
10K SCSIs, the main problem of course is the lack of advanced queueing
in these drives. I'm sure there's some threshold where the number of
drives advantage exceeds the disadvantage of no queueing -- what that
is, I don't have a clue.

Now if you stuffed a ton of memory onto a SATA caching controller and
these controllers did the queue management instead of the drives, that
would eliminate most of the performance issues.

Then you're just left with the management issues. Getting those 20
drives stuffed in a big case and keeping a close eye on the drives since
drive failure will be a much bigger deal.