Re: autovacuum question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: autovacuum question
Date
Re: autovacuum question  (Scott Mead <scott.lists@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Scot Kreienkamp <SKreien@la-z-boy.com> wrote:
> Wish I could Tom.  I need a non-production, read-write copy of the
> database that is updated every 1-2 hours from production. I don't set
> this requirement, the business does. I just have to do it if it's
> technically possible.
>
> I found a way to do it very easily using LVM snapshots and WAL log
> shipping, but the net effect is I'm bringing a new LVM snapshot copy of
> the database out of recovery every 1-2 hours.  That means I'd have to
> spend 15 minutes, or one-quarter of the time, doing an analyze every
> time I refresh the database.  That's fairly painful.  The LVM snap and
> restart only takes 1-2 minutes right now.
>
> If you have any other ideas how I can accomplish or improve this I'm all
> ears.

I'm gonna take a scientific wild-assed guess that the real issue here
is caching, or more specifically, lack thereof when you first start up
your copy of the db.

ISTM that 9.0's read-only standby feature may be of use to you.  I know it doesn't help you *today* but have you looked at it yet?

--Scott M