Re: Changing character set of existing databases - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From raghu ram
Subject Re: Changing character set of existing databases
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Nicolas Michel <nicolas.michel@lemail.be> wrote:
Hello,

I made a mistake an got a character set in SQL_ASCII as the defaut encoding type :

$ psql -l
         List of databases
    Name     |  Owner   | Encoding
--------------+----------+-----------
 cmp_crm      | openerp  | SQL_ASCII
 cmp_crm_demo | openerp  | SQL_ASCII
 cmp_testcrm  | openerp  | SQL_ASCII
 postgres     | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template0    | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template1    | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(6 rows)

I need to get them in UTF-8. ->
1) Can I modify these existing databases to switch them into UTF-8? How?

you can't modify the existing database encoding.

2) Can I modify the defaut character set to create further databases in UTF-8 by default?

you can change the default character set for new databases and use the below command for creation of new database with diff encoding.

 create database raghu template=template1 encoding='UTF-8';

Regards
Raghu Ram