count and limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fabio Victora Hecht
Subject count and limit
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

I've been using Postgresql for a while now and I'm very satisfied.

I was wondering if there's a way to count the results of a query and return part of the result set it in one query (LIMIT). Because I usually have to count the results using one query (to tell the user how many records match the criteria) and show the first 20 records.

It seems to me that could be optimized, because the database has to fetch the results to count, then again to return the page.

Hope I'm clear enough.

Thanks.

Fabio.