Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

From: Mark Kirkwood
Subject: Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Benjamin Scherrey, )
  Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (winston cheung, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Robert Zenz, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Fabio Pardi, )
  Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
   Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
    Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Nicolas Charles, )
[...]
      Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Imre Samu, )
     Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
     Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
      Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
       Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
        Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
       Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Jeff Janes, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (George Neuner, )

Ok, so dropping the cache is good.

How are you ensuring that you have one test setup on the HDDs and one on
the SSDs? i.e do you have 2 postgres instances? or are you using one
instance with tablespaces to locate the relevant tables? If the 2nd case
then you will get pollution of shared_buffers if you don't restart
between the HHD and SSD tests. If you have 2 instances then you need to
carefully check the parameters are set the same (and probably shut the
HDD instance down when testing the SSD etc).

I can see a couple of things in your setup that might pessimize the SDD
case:
- you have OS on the SSD - if you tests make the system swap then this
will wreck the SSD result
- you have RAID 0 SSD...some of the cheaper ones slow down when you do
this. maybe test with a single SSD

regards
Mark