handling errors of os.error module - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Vadim Pestovnikov
Subject handling errors of os.error module
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi all,

When I create a database dump in python script and if there are some
errors depending on database like user_name is not correct, db_name
doesn't exist or something else I need to handle this error and send
an e-mail notification to my admin. How can I do it?

I tried to use like this, but it doesn't work.

#!/usr/bin/python
import os

try:
    os.system("pg_dump -U user_name -i -F c -v db_name -f file_name.backup")
    print "%s backup has been completed" % ("Database XXX")

except os.error, error:

    # ...
    # here sending e-mail if there is an error of backing up
    # ...

    print "Backup error %s" % error

--
Sincerely,