Re: PL/pgSQL cursors should get generated portal names by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PL/pgSQL cursors should get generated portal names by default
Date
Re: PL/pgSQL cursors should get generated portal names by default
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/4/22 19:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <jan@wi3ck.info> writes:
>> I need to do some testing on this. I seem to recall that the naming was
>> originally done because a reference cursor is basically a named cursor
>> that can be handed around between functions and even the top SQL level
>> of the application. For the latter to work the application needs to know
>> the name of the portal.
>
> Right.  With this patch, it'd be necessary to hand back the actual
> portal name (by returning the refcursor value), or else manually
> set the refcursor value before OPEN to preserve the previous behavior.
> But as far as I saw, all our documentation examples show handing back
> the portal name, so I'm hoping most people do it like that already.

I was mostly concerned that we may unintentionally break underdocumented
behavior that was originally implemented on purpose. As long as everyone
is aware that this is breaking backwards compatibility in the way it
does, that's fine.

>> I am currently down with Covid and have trouble focusing. But I hope to
>> get to it some time next week.
>
> Get well soon!

Thanks, Jan